Friday, June 1, 2012

everything is new

What a day. Very uneventful and calm in so many ways, but such a great one. After feeling like a pariah at the free breakfast at the Holiday Inn Express I wrote to the peeps at the Santa Fe Art Institute (SFAI) asking what time I could show up. Katie, the main contact (Residency Director), was still out of town (she went to France, to Nantes and Paris, to work out some partnerships they have over there), and she'd arrive in the afternoon. Michelle (Deputy Director), sent me very detailed directions and told me to come by around eleven, so I packed my car and headed there as soon as possible.

The campus was extremely close to where I was staying, and there was tons of signage, so the directions were not really needed, but totally appreciated. SFAI sits within the grounds of and Art and Design University, though they are completely independent, a 503 type of thing. The building, following the modern Adobe architecture style, houses a large gallery (with an incredible Nancy Holt exhibition which I will write about on art-sight soon), administrative offices, the residency dorms (12 beautiful large rooms with private baths and queen size beds, all with outdoor access), and the studios. Shaped in the atrium style, a lovely courtyard at the center with tables and trees, where a mean birdie mom lives (I was told to be aware if I go out to eat).

I walked in and met Cathy (Administrative Officer), whom I immediately loved. I think her smile and bright brown eyes made me feel comfortable right away, and she was very helpful. I briefly met Michelle, also very nice (but she had to talk to some folks that came in the same time as I did), so Cathy introduced me to Lisa (Youth Education & Outreach Assistant/Teaching Artist) who gave me the grand tour. She took me to my quarters (room 5), right next to the RA's, John (whom I met later that day). When I got there there were 4 residents already in, and 2 more arrived since, I think, though I did not meet all of them. The grounds are awesome and I plan on extensively photographing it at some point. I was shown my studio, which I will share with three other people, but my corner is very large, larger than my studio at the Balloon Factory by two times, but not as private, which is fine. I met one young guy, I think his name is Colby (and for what I gathered he drove from Peoria, IL, around the same time as I did), and later met this woman from Colorado who will be moving to West Virginia to teach this Fall. Also met this really nice woman from New York (who is staying here for 3 months), can't remember her name, but she has a studio in a different part of the building. Met this guy and this woman, I think they are a couple, very nice, but again have no idea their names. As I suspected, I think I am the oldest person here.

Once I figured out my surroundings I started unloading my crap, which was totally embarrassing (but no one seemed to care, can't believe there is more stuff to come in the mail lol), and actually ran into Katie, who is just completely adorable, a great smile and energy. In fact, everyone here is so nice I wish I had signed up to stay the whole summer. I completely recommend this residency, it is very classy, and the people über nice. The commons areas, kitchen and dining and living room, with computers and printers, are also very nice, clean, open, well lit.

After I moved into my room and unpacked (the room is so large all my stuff fit, no problem), went to the studio and cleaned the tables and walls, and begin working on a drawing immediately. I plan on making ten such drawings to serve as the background of a synchronized two channel video projection piece. This is my main project for the residency, and the drawing part will be done probably in ten days. I then need to decide on their configuration so that I can begin painting, and will work out the video part back home, with a more powerful computer than my laptop. This first drawing is 80% done. Had to go to the art supply store to get some workable fixative, which I did not feel I could bring from home because of the heat in the car. Of course the store was nearby and of course I got lost (drove past it lol), and it took me a while to get back around.Traffic is weird here, it is heavy but a bit slow, but I am loving the ability of taking U-turns almost everywhere. The store, Artisan, was huge, and I found everything I needed and ended up buying two 10"x 10" canvases to begin a side project (they ordered eight more for me, again, extremely friendly people). The guy who checked me out also gave me a discount (I asked), and later I found out all artists at the residency get them, 10% I believe.

Got back to the studio, worked for another couple hours, chatted with new studio mate (still cant remember her name, and have to meet one French woman in the same space), and then decided to get something to eat. Getting back on my diet plan, which I have not followed during the drive (but ate little during the actual drives), wish me good luck. There is a festival in town called "Currents 2012 - The Santa Fe International New Media Festival" which opens later in the month. I'm excited about it and might even sign up for a workshop they will offer, good timing :-)

Today I plan on going to the gym on campus, which is only available from 9 to 4, another change for me. It's 6:3o am here, and I suspect most everyone is asleep. Last night I ended up going to my room around 7 pm, watched Mad Men on my laptop (what an amazing episode, the Jaguar account one), watched another show on Netflix, did random Internet stuff, and went to sleep around 10 pm local time. Not sure what people do here at night, feeling a little shy still, we'll see what goes on tonight!







- posted via iPad

Location:Santa Fe, New Mexico

No comments:

Post a Comment