Wednesday, June 20, 2012

spending time

The residency is coming to an end to some of us. I ran into Charlie in the morning, and asked if he was leaving. He told me he had one more day, so I organized a dinner get-together at Jambo for that evening, via email.

Went to the gym, nobody was there, did some weights for 30 minutes and an hour of cardio. As it sometimes happens, the time between 11 am and noon disappear, so before I knew I was having the usual salad lunch in the courtyard with Aimee, Cobi and Rita, later joined by Ellen.

In the after noon, besides resting, I finished the background for my drawing, which was very satisfying. Reserved the restaurant for seven people - myself Charlie, Marisa, Ellen, Chris, Carmie an Rita - for 7:30 and sent an email to make a meeting time at 7 at the commons. Rita had the great idea of walking over there the long way (as opposed to jumping the fence) which I found a good idea, since we'd be eating a lot for sure. There was some misunderstanding over the meeting time, and since most were there at 7 and hungry, I found myself banging in people's doors to get them all out in time. We all walked together and talked and paired up with different groups at different times, and got there 5 minutes before our reservation.

The host (and I believe co-owner) of Jambo is a very nice young man named Abdul (I think). He has a great voice and an even greater smile. Marisa had brought along some South African wine, and after a bit of convincing, he uncorked it for us. We ended up buying another bottle anyway, so I do not believe that was any harm (and Rita drank one glass of white). We were all so starved and the smell in the air was so strong (the restaurant had a good number of clients, but not as full as the previous thursday night), we ended up ordering a couple appetizers (fries with cumin fries and cinamon plantains with curry mayo, the latter amazing). I ended up ordering the combo platter again, but asked to substitute the curry chicken with the Moroccan lamb stew, which was divine (I will order that only next time). We ended ordering a couple desserts and sharing (a mango cobbler and a coffee flan). After many toasts and great conversation, in addition to totally overeating, my share of the bill ended up being $32 (which considering my entree was $16 with the substitution, appetizers, wine and dessert), it was not so bad, even though I suspect I might have paid more than most people, proportionally (saw a lot of $20s and $25s being handed, though I think Charlie also paid $30 - who cares, it was a good time). I'm glad I went to the bank the day before and had cash in hand. Unfortunately this meal will not be tax-deductible, as I did not grab the receipt. For some reason Rita and Ellen left before the rest.

We walked back the long way again and it was a good idea, because we were so freaking full. As we got to the institute and saw Aimee working away at her studio, we all stood by the window, jumping and screaming, and it took forever for her to notice us. We walked into the building through the side door and went to her studio to visit. A lot of folks had not been there yet, so she got to show and explain to them what she's up to, which was a very nice and impromptu way of having a salon. I hope ours is more like that and less presentation oriented. Our plan was to watch Aliens, but some people wanted to smoke pot, so we all gathered in Marisa's room and went for a tour of the campus, at night, guided by Carmie. We ended up meandering our way to the library, which has a flat elevated plaza, and we sat there for a while, looking at the bugs while Marisa and Carmie danced around and sang Jewish songs from their childhood. There was virtually no one on campus (saved for some people in some housing areas, a few lights on, so it was a unique experience. The weather was beautiful, a nice warm breeze, not too hot nor cold. Eventually we walked back to the institute and got ready for the screening of Aliens.

Amy and Myriel joined up to watch the movie. I went to grab the adapter from my studio for the projector. When I got back to the commons Charlie and Marisa had cut up some watermelon for us all, which was the perfect sweet and refreshing element to close the night. I took my usual spot in the corner, Marisa grabbed my hand, and off we went. I dozed off for the majority of the first hour of the movie, and when things got really scared, Amy ran away (sometime before that Myriel had left as well). I was more awake for the second part of the movie, which is the best, the scariest. Signorney/Ripley really kicked some alien ass, and by the end we all were awed by the movie experience (even the ones who had watched that before). Of course alien babies with mullets came up again, so now I am seriously considering starting a new blog dedicated to that. We said our good-byes to Charlie, I put the dishes in the machine and watermelon in a container, and went to my roomBy the time I got to bed it was pretty late, past 1 am. I fell asleep immediately.




- posted via iPad

Location:Cerrillos Rd,Santa Fe,United States

No comments:

Post a Comment