Sunday, June 24, 2012

work work work

Saturdays can get pretty productive around here. Not having the staff around helps tremendously, not sure why but it does. The house actually feels like a house, not a a place, an institution. There is quietness in the air. Not having the option of going to the gym adds two potential hours for working.

The only planned outing I had was the artist talk at Currents 2012, from 1 to 3 pm, which turned out to be way less organized than it sounded (a docent going around each piece and if the artist happened to be around, they'd speak). Got a couple hours work before that, and invited Ellen to come along. Ended up buying the small catalogue and meeting one of the organizers, as well as the artists who did the four-channel piece I so much enjoyed (which actually feature their entire family, a fact I could attest after recognizing all of them). Ran into David Stout, we talked a bit, connected face to face, which was nice. Because the event was so disorganized, we left before 2 pm, which was completely fine.

Worked in the studio for an hour more (finished two drawings and one square painting, yay) before a planned bakery run with Aimee, Rita and Ellen. The studio felt extremely quiet, and Cobi went out of town, and Ellen worked mostly in the computer at the commons. When we got back I decided to watch Fritz Lang's Metropolis, which I had not seen since college (and it was the first time I saw the recovered footage). The 25 minutes added were interesting, but made the movie extremely long. Still, found some pretty interesting things to work with, eventually. By the time I finished it was past 7:30, so made a quick bite to eat and headed back to the studio, and began working on the monster piece, as I am beginning to call it. Added three architecture structures to the movie behind a figure I had painted a couple days ago (my self, though not a self portrait), I am not 100% sure I like it, but at this point there is no return. Need to look at it in daylight, with fresher eyes. It was too dark in the studio last night, imagine that. Still need to figure out what the foreground will hold, have some ideas but not sure. What I paint may direct what the video may end up being. Unfortunately I do not have the capacity to edit the video here, my laptop is full and so slow these days, I hope it can last until next summer, though. It was a long day of work, very productive though. I need to fall in love with this piece today, that is my goal.





- posted via iPad

Location:Cerrillos Rd,Santa Fe,United States

No comments:

Post a Comment