Saturday, June 30, 2012

adjustment

It had not occurred to me that bringing Mike into the mix would change the dynamics of this place, and the dynamics of timing. I'm not suggesting that his coming here has been negative, only that it has affected the routine. I have to give him credit for hanging out with people he does not know and hear about conversations he probably does not care. It probably sounds a lot like when he is around people I work with and we talk about work.

Leaving this place and adding something to the mix, that is what I have had to get used to, starting yesterday. Ellen and Phil left in the morning, I briefly saw them around 9 am. My task that day was to finish cleaning the studio and get the wall painted. Mike took my car and went to town. I asked Katie for paint to touch up the studio wall, and it literally took three hours to get some. While waiting I worked on one drawing and organized my supplies in two bags. Cobi, Rita, Aimee, Mike and I went to a restaurant Diane suggested, which was really good (and not touristy), but I totally overate and today my tummy does not feel great. Compiled to the fact that I skipped the gym and ate two meals out, I feel like a sausage right now. I already miss my routine of endless cardio and salads with toast. I had forgotten that Mike has certain habits, as we have not traveled together since last summer (though I do not feel like I am traveling, as this place is starting to feel like home). We dropped everyone off, went to the bank because I was cash-less, and then we went on a search for coffee, because I forgot Mike needs coffee after lunch and before his nap. The car has been running out of gas, but so far I have not stopped anywhere to fill it up. We ended up driving to the Starbucks with the poor service and got coffees there, and then stopped at Smith's to get some supplies (or the other way around, I do not remember - I only remember Smith's has the nasties bathroom I've been to in a long time).

Mike went to the room to take a nap and I spent the next hour and a half packing all my drawings and paintings. I am not sure how they will fit in the car. Some time today I need to pack my room, it is gonna be an ordeal. I got back to the room and laid down as Mike took a shower (less than 30 minutes) and then off we went to the Dome, as per Ethan's invitation. I wanted to meet him in person so that he could connect my name to my face. He had told me to come around 5 to see student works, and when we got there they were still setting up. I had wanted to go to an opening at the Railyard from 5 to 7, and realized that we'd probably miss that altogether. The student show started 50 minutes late, and of course I had to pee and could not get up in the middle of it. The work was interesting, but I wish I had come to the earlier screening to see moving work (the student stuff was HRD photography composited for the Dome). We left, still without fueling, and headed straight to CCA to see Cris and Annica's work. There was another gallery space there, a huge gallery, with some video work and later a performance. We looked at it a bit and then walked up to see their work. We ran into them outside and chatted for a bit, and it was actually nice to just talk for a bit with no one around. We went to see the thing, interacted a bit, and left.

Mike wanted to go to the Plaza, even though he had been there in the morning. I really do not like going there in general, it is always the same thing, same people, etc. Every time I go there I see how lame the town is. Mike wanted to go to a rooftop brewery and off we went. Though it was nice to get carded, I really did not enjoy myself because a) I was tired (very little sleep the night before and no nap time), b) I was not drinking, c) we were not eating (and I was starting to get hungry, it was past 7:30, my dinner time), and d) there was some music performance in the square that was loud and just plain awful. After he finished two beers we got back to the street level, and because it was almost 9 pm, most places were closing down. It's always been complicated in the meal department, because Mike is pickier than I am, food-wise. I eat anything, while he eats very specific things. But he doesn't always want to choose restaurants because he knows I am restaurant-picky (I always prefer waiting service with cloth napkins, not always possible, and I hate trays of any sort). He wanted to eat a burger, and at that point I just needed to eat. We ended up going to Water Street and walked past a bunch of places that looked cool and lively, and ended up at the Atomic Grill, which had outdoor seating (to the road) and was a bit on the dirty side, but that is where we ended up eating. I had a spinach salad with grilled chicken, which was pretty (I mean, how can one really fuck that up?), but I wonder if this meal or lunch is the culprit with my upset stomach now.

We got back to the institute around 9:40 and I knew I had to be up for at least two hours so that I could sleep okay. Aimee and Cobi were drinking wine in her studio, so we joined them, later to be joined by Chris and Carmie. After that first bottle was finished, we all went to the kitchen while C&C baked molasses cookies, and in my mind I was already thinking of all the crap I had already eaten that day, the fact that I had skipped the gym, and that I needed at least two hours without eating or drinking anything in order to sleep somewhat well. That did not happen (though I think I only had three or four cookies, they were delish). We moved to the courtyard, and Mike went to bed soon after that. We all talked until at least 1 am, and then went to the kitchen to put stuff away (though Aimee had done most of the work). It took me forever to fall asleep, and I woke up around 5, and walked around the institute for a bit. I want to leave this place and get home as soon as possible, but there are still 8 days ahead. I need to adjust to the uncertainty of my schedule in the coming days, and in getting used to make decisions that pleases two people, or compromising. I am hoping that the Ojo stay will add some hours in my sleeping bank and renew me for the rest of the journey home. Maybe this is not home, after all.


- posted via iPad

Location:Cerrillos Rd,Santa Fe,United States

No comments:

Post a Comment