Saturday, June 2, 2012

connecting the dots

After waking up, taking vitamins, in the bathroom I heard my neighbor, Aimee brushing her teeth with her Sonicare, so I turned my own on as a way of saying "good morning". Took a shower and realized I forgot to bring my breakfast food, so I walked outside to go to the grocery store, and the weather was surprisingly chilly. I was told that it was possible to jump the fence, that meets the back of the supermarket, but I did not find the low passage, so to speak (later I learned that the sideways shopping carts had been removed). So once again I ended up driving somewhere very close by.

The staff at the Smith's store were so friendly and nice and helped me find everything I could not, on my own (noticed tons of local stuff, at one point I thought they did not sell bread, just tortillas). Bought my usual items - mixed greens, tomatoes, mushrooms, bananas, english muffin, turkey breast, string cheese, hummus, coconut milk - and added an organic cereal (whole wheat honey O's) which should last until the next food shipment arrives.

Had breakfast in the kitchen, ran into Cobi making coffee, and later met Diane (Executive Director), who had just returned from France with Katie. Learned from her it might be possible to schedule two other months of the residency (we are allowed three at most) within the calendar year if it works out with the schedule. I might do that but will probably apply to other programs first. Many of the residents I have talked to have gone to other places so I might try some of theirs first.

After breakfast ran into Aimee and she told me she was going to the gym, and invited me to come along. She is so nice to talk to. She told me about the music practice room - she is a classically trained violinist as well - and some of her experiences from the previous month, this being the beginning of her second month here. The gym was old but doable, and there were only two other people there besides us and the supervisor, and only one of those people were a weirdo. I did very little, just 30 minutes of cardio and two reps with the weights; their machines seem to be from the 80s or earlier, not sure if I even know how to use them. Since they are open only now M-F 9-4 I'll take the weekends off, but going there at 9, late for me, will become part of my new routine. Oh, I saw a bunny on the way there.

When I got back I decided to do some more shopping, so I ordered a wireless Beats headset online (for the studio, I think the earbuds would kill me after a whole month), picked it up at the local store and added an iPad keyboard to the mix (which I am using right now, thank you Best Buy charge card), found an Aveda Salon (got some shampoo), and got lost until I found a Starbucks (it was an iced latte, venti decaf skim 2 Splenda, kind of day). Made my way back to SFAI without too much trouble and came into my room to charge the new toys. All work well, but not perfectly. The iPad keyboard works best in the horizontal mode, but many apps do not flip that way. It is not very stable as a vertical, but for now it is just fine. The headphones sound wonderful, really soft on the year, but at times there was some interference, and I imagine it was picking up a lot of signals from the room (songs would skip a couple bits and beats), nothing out of this world though. I imagine that when I upgrade to a better phone that will be solved.

Started working on my report for Columbia College (just noticed that the autocorrect does not work with the keyboard), and so far it is two pages long and I am 1/3 of the way done. This will need a lot of editing, but I think in two days I can write down all the main ideas and edit for the following week, and still meet the deadline of June 15. Also got an email with the materials I am supposed to review for a Full Professor review I am doing, but fortunately the deadline is in September (this is the first time someone has ever given me a private fax number, not even sure what this exactly means, but I feel very much like a 1990s James Bond). Adding to this list are three blog entries I want to do for art-sight, and my plate will be full in the writing department this month.

Spend quite some time in the studio yesterday, finished another large drawing, made two small drawing exercises, and worked on two small paintings. As I am waiting for supplies to arrive I feel as if my pacing is not working out at all. I am working too fast. Compiled by my hard-working studio mates I feel as if I am not doing enough, or not spending enough time there. So my new strategy will have to change. I will now make two or three large drawings per day and get done with phase one of the new projection piece sooner rather than later. I think I have three or four phases for this piece, with a fifth one done at home. But before leaving here I will have to make some decisions on how the piece will be displayed, and if indeed it will have two or one channel - a visual, spatial, and technical (thus financial) dilemma.

Went back to my room to take a nap, but did not fall asleep. Was trying to decide what to do for the rest of the night - write, Netflix, or else. The place was dead, dead and dark after the sun went down. I guess there are a lot of light switches that need to be turned on, which is not the case during the day with all the windows and skylights everywhere. I decided to walk around to see if I was alone in the building, so I grabbed a bottle of water and acted as if I was gonna get it filled (which is silly, as the water is potable from the faucet). Ran into Ellen, my studio mate, who was working in the computer. Earlier in the day we talked a lot at lunch, she is really nice and funny. She actually went to grad school at USF and know a couple people I know there. Later that day she commented on an email I had sent to the group, about going to an opening reception later in the month and signing up for a workshop (she's gonna do it too, the Stop Motion animation one). We started talking about the place and the people, how no one was around, and we were about to pop open a bottle of wine when Charles, a handsome new resident from NYC walked by and offered us some beer. The three of us talked for quite a bit (he is working on this cool project that will be shown in this planetarium-like space in town), and eventually Cobi joined us as well. That was the typical residency experience, where everyone tries to talk about themselves but careful not to be too annoying (I think Charles and I were, as Ellen eventually just left, but not before confirming that on Saturday we'll do some walking in town). Eventually Agnes (another studio mate, though we r never there at the same time), John and Aimee walked in and joined the convo. We all moved to the courtyard, as they building was freezing (the commons areas r very cold, the bedrooms and studios very warm), while we waited for a new resident, Marissa - a writer - to arrive. We all talked for hours, Aimee explained to me a lot of the drama that happened the previous month (having to do with access to the wet room, where some food and booze is kept, and the Nancy Holt exhibition). At one point Chris, one of the writers from the duo with Carmin, showed up, and disappeared, entering from one door and exiting through another (we were in the atrium looking through a glass wall, he was accessing the controversial wet room, it was very weird and funny how he kept popping up everywhere and just waving at us. We all eventually sat down on one of the tables and talked until past midnight, and learned a bit about everyone else, which was great. Agnes is going on a field trip to Sedona for a few days, so not sure when I will see her again in the studio. I am sure Aimee and I will go to the gym together on a daily basis. People are still testing one another at this point, but I think ties are being forged. Good people, good times.

This morning a 10 am we will have our breakfast orientation (more like mid-morning snack for me), so this will be the one time we will all be face to face, sans Agnes unfortunately. She is a pretty interesting character, an older French woman that is somewhat esoteric (she already sensed some of my energy, she is somewhat claravoyant, or at least empathic), and has no problems speaking her mind, in a very cleaver and deep manner that is not stuffy. She simultaneously remind me of three people I know (my friend Tijen from college, my aunt Celia/Halie, and artist Anna Tomzac), but she is nothing like them at all at the same time. I am sure these people I am meeting now will later be reminded by other people I encounter in life.





- posted via iPad

Location:Santa Fe, NM

No comments:

Post a Comment