Friday, June 22, 2012

great expectations

Knowing we'd have an event at 6 pm threw everybody's day off, as we'd not know what to expect. Went to the gym at 8:30 am, now that I know it is open earlier, made my day productive. Took pictures around campus for the record, all horizontals because blogger does not flip pictures, unless one knows the HTML code for that.

After lunch went to the studio and began working on a new drawing, which involved looking up stuff online. I decided to draw parallel horizontal lines to it, which too for ever. Traced the figure and was good to go. Napping before the party was the plan, so around 3:30 I went back to my room. On the way there I noticed they had already begun prepping for the party, which was gonna take place mainly on the courtyard. Stopped by Aimee's studio and chatted a bit, as we both got rejection letters about 20 minutes apart (a great way to put someone in a party mood). Ran into Katie, who asked me if I wanted the doors to the bedrooms closed or open for the event; I voted for closed doors, and suggested that, if needed, they could be open if too many people arrived. Though most people seemed not to care (openly speaking, behind doors all kinds of talks were taking place on the subject) one way or another, the doors were left closed, and we had no wonderers. This party was causing a lot of anxiety with the residents, because we did not know what to expect. For weeks now we all worried about it, if it was gonna be a drunk mob, a slacker fest, annoying, too long, too boring, intrusive, what would happen to our work, etc. The whole event was a big question mark.

Around 5:30 I began getting dressed for the party, which consisted of me taking a shower, blow drying my hair, putting on jeans and a black top (and I was officially dressed up for Santa Fe). Cobi texted me to come over for drinks, so I walked to the kitchen to get a glass and saw that there were a few people already there (it was barely 6 pm). Ran into Marisa, Chris and Carmie, and before we knew, all of them plus Aimee and Ellen (and later John) were there. We polished a bottle of wine, while redirecting a lot of wanderers where the front door was, and later joined the party. The party was actually fun, and by 6:30 there were tons of people in the house, mostly on the courtyard and commons, with a few stragglers in the gallery (including children running and people with drinks). There was no need for opening the hallway, as the courtyard was where everyone wanted to be. Rita was nowhere in sight, I worried if this would not be a good thing for her. Got a sweet email from Charlie, which went really well with the free gimlets we were all drinking (only one free drink for everyone). The food was pretty yummy and consisted of guac and chips, flautas and some sort of round grilled sopapilla sandwiches, with varied fillers (I had a mole and a beef one). There was also this dessert that combined a chocolate cake at the bottom and a flan on top, with a dash of dulce de leche. The institute staff was marveled at seeing so many young people hanging out there, as their usual audience is in their silver years. They just need to figure out ways to attract the young crowd, food/drinks/DJ might be a good way to start, putting the artists into the community more (and making us meet people our age wouldn't hurt either). Actually ran into my blue-eyed buddy from the Pig Roast, but given the language barrier we only exchanged few words, the occasional smile and wave. Talked to a few people, but as most mingling experiences go, one tends to stick with their friends.

The party was getting to the point where we'd either sit down and get bored or got up and danced, as most of us suspected that it would not end at 8 pm. Agnes actually approached me and said we should all go to the Rouge Cat afterwards to dance. We all thought it was a good idea, but because the music at the party got really good all of a sudden, we all began dancing, which was very nice with the sun setting and the cool breeze (by then Aimee had already gone to her room). We all danced a bit, then ate more, then got bored and realized that this party would never end. I went to my room to use the bathroom, and soon after Ellen left. We were all tired and thought that going out to dance was not in the books anymore. Marisa eventually left, and we realized that this is what happens when you start drinking at 6 pm and are not used to the altitude - we all got too tipsy too soon and now we were all sleepy. As Chris had downloaded the Alien 3 movie, we thought we could watch it somewhere, so after some brain storming we went to the studios. I turned on my projector and we all fetched some chairs. All being Cobi, Chris, Carmie, and I. It took forever for us all to get settled (Carmie had to get the speakers, it took her dancing a whole song to get it borrowed from the institute, it was connected to some video display), Chris got some food/drinks/blankets, and changed into my pajamas, all the while sneaking around the party, through the gallery. While we waited, Cobi noticed that I misspelled the word METROPOLIS (I know, silly me, I switched the S for a second T). Embarrassment aside, I was glad he caught it for me before more phase 2 work took place. I will have to redraw it today, glad I have extra paper.

It all made sense now why we had the party, why we got bored, and why we had to watch all the Alien movies (one more to go): to catch my mistake. I sat on the chair, and the three of them on the floor with blankets and pillows, a slumber party in the studio. The movie was good, it had been a long time since I watched it, but the acoustics in the studio and the accents made it somewhat difficult to understand. By then it was past 10 pm and the party was still going in full swing. I worried that Rita and Aimee would not get any sleep. When I went to my room to change I noticed how loud the music could be in the rooms, one reason we wanted to watch the movie in the studio, the furthest away from the living quarters one could get. By the time we finished watching it was past midnight, and the party at some point had ended. We heard John's voice on the way back but have no idea where he was. Though I ate more than I should, I was able to sleep right away (the movie was the needed break I needed). Woke up at 5:45 and got ready for another day.





- posted via iPad

Location:Cerrillos Rd,Santa Fe,United States

No comments:

Post a Comment