Tuesday, June 12, 2012

falling into place

A new day gone by, a new random location selection by my app (this time Cerrillos Rd). As the second weekend went by and the second full week of the residency starts, we all seem to have fallen into a routine.

Monday nights are our screening night. But before I get into that, let's start with the morning. I woke up early, as usual, and got productive, checked an item off my list, put together a shoe and book order, drank my protein shake and wrote my blogue. Texted Cobi to go to the gym and had some time to spare, so I took my time getting ready.

Cobi texted me back confirming his presence. I knocked on his door on my way to the kitchen to let him know I was ready but not in a hurry, and waited for him at the usual spot. Today the Summer camp started, which means kids check in at the front lobby by 9 am, go somewhere for the day (supposedly), and check out at the front lobby by 4:15 pm. Cobi and I walked to the gym, with kids and parent around, and when we got there the place was closed. A good looking but aloof guy told us there might have been a mix up with the schedule, so we waited for a bit. This young woman who works there came by and when she found out it was closed, she left to call someone to open the door. We waited for ever (like 5 minutes), so I suggested we walk around the campus instead, but because Cobi had forgotten his hat, we walked back to the institute. By then he was too hot, so I decided to walk on my own, and as I walked past the gym, saw it was open and went in. It was 9:25 and I did not want to waste my whole day there, so I only did cardio (30 minutes treadmill and 30 minutes elliptical), and left. Was gonna do weights, but the room was full for once, so I just went back.

Got a banana in the kitchen, read recently it is a better electrolight replenisher for non-athletes than Gatorade. Went by Aimee's studio to catch up, went to my room to shower and shave, did not keep a mustache given the mixed reviews on FB (jk), swung by Aimee's (it was 12:15 by then), made the usual salad but added mangos (were a bit too green but eatable), ate lunch at the table, Ellen joined us, and then it was studio time. This seems to be the routine, and as such, this blogue might become somewhat boring. As new projects arise, more time will be spent in the studio, and less doing new stuff, I will have to figure out a way to balance the schedule. I worked for a couple hours with the silverpoint drawing, it is going to be a tedious process. I also need to adjust to the range of that medium. I looked under the table, where my graphite drawings are stored, and they seemed so full of life and contrast, and the silverpoint so delicate and quiet, I am not sure how long it will take for me to strike a balance and switch my mind from one mode to another. As usual, my back started to act up. I think it is a mix of a high chair, low/wobbly table, and cement flooring, but it's been killing me. I tried drawing on the wall, which was more comfortable, but for some reason here the tape does not hold up the paper at all, at maximum for 30 minutes on the regular wall, and a few hours on the wooden/movable walls. So back to the table it was. Using a mechanical pencil has not been great either, my tendonitis is completely acting up, and the pain shot all the way up to my shoulder and neck. I tried activating some pressure points but the relief wasn't great. Decided to go to my room and lay down for a bit, which turned out to be a couple hours, of not so much of a rest, as the kids from the camp were yelling and screaming outside my window. Around 6 I went back to the studio for a final hour of work, where I went over the drawing a bit more, worked on the black and silver paintings, and presoaked paper for the silverpoint medium. Wanna get started with the coating tomorrow, will do three layers instead of only two, and maybe speed up the process by doing two at a time. Have an idea for one drawing, the other will be a question mark.

Aimee was in the kitchen already by the time I got there, she had cooked sweet potatoes, and offered me a piece, but only if it fit my diet. Since I did not know I went to my room to check the app (yes, there is an app for that), and found out it could be one of my smart carbs for dinner (unfortunate, avocado is out, I can only have two tablespoons as an added extra, which breaks my heart, as everyone is eating it, it's every where here). Told her I could have half a cup of it, she gave me an appropriate piece, and I ended up making a salad with mixed greens, tomatoes, sweet potatoes, and hummus (my second carb for the night), with a dash of vinegar and a pin drop of olive oil (all allowed). I think Aimee is concerned with my diet (more so than I am), which is very sweet of her, but I think I only broke it twice since I was here, because the breakfast at the hotel I split the contents for breakfast and lunch (with the appropriate proteins and carbs), so I only broke it with the gelato and the pig roast (the beer that night being the worst culprit, rather than the pig and the sides - I only had seconds on the pig and the cole slaw). I think this is why she might not have bought me the almond joy I asked when she went to the candy run before the movie. But I am going forward. We all went to the courtyard, Cobi running back and forth because he was boiling water, Marisa joining us and confirming that the movie screening was moved to 8 pm instead of 9 (my request, as it was a double feature), and eventually Ellen, Chris and Carmie joined us. The daily exchanges were shared, and we all went inside to prep for the screening.

I went to my studio to get the projector adapter, and Chris connected all the stuff (podium with audio with laptop with speakers). Aimee said she'd go for a candy run (read above) and we all waited for her to come back. She is doing much better, foot-wise, and I think doing the night drive was part of it, of getting back her mobility, which is awesome. While she was gone we debated if we should have wine or whiskey, and if we should watch and rewind or wait for her return, as we were not sure if she wanted to watch Mad Men or not (she did not last time). We decided to have the wine provided by Marisa (Chris being a purist had to drink the whiskey while watching the show, completely appropriate - I think given the proper setting, smoking would have taken place as well). We also decided to watch the show and rewind, and a few minutes later Aimee showed up, gave candy to Cobi, Carmie and Chris (maybe it was a C night for candy?) and went to her room. Marisa got some candy from Cobi and I decided to pass. I am allowed 250 calories of dessert every night, and I thought the almond joy would fit the bill. Last night's dessert was a brownie, stored in my room, and I thought I'd eat it when I was hungry, maybe between the TV show and the movie.

Chris fast forwarded as he had already rewound the show, and off we went. Again, another excellent show, and a total cliffhanger of a finale. The last scenes were breath-taken. It is my view that this season, as the entire year of 2012, is that of transitions. In the TV show the last scenes of the main characters were very defining of their future and character, of how, being presented with choices, what one decides reflects more on their personality than on the circumstances. As of now, what happens next season is anyone's game. Will they all fall off the proverbial wagon? Will some attune? Similarly, I find this year one where people have to make a stance for what they believe in, and if not, be aware that silence speaks louder than words. Personally, this has been the year of me putting my money where my mouth is, career-wise. I have consciously decided to take risks in my art career, which are really not huge risks at all, but for me a big step, and I feel that I have grown a lot because of it. What comes next is as big of a question to me, as it was the TV show.

We decided to take a break, and I went to my room to pee. Thought about the brownie but decided to skip it, and thought I should eat earlier the next day, have a bowl of cereal before the gym, instead of not eating at all until protein snack time at 11.

Because Chris, Carmie and I had watched Prometheus on Sunday, watching the first Alien movie sounded like a good idea. Cobi left after the show and later Charlie joined us. Marisa sat next to me and we giggled and chatted throughout the movie, as did the others. Carmie and I had seen it before, Chris had not, and Marisa wasn't sure. It was great to see the correlations between this first movie and Prometheus, the sets from the 1979 movie were amazing, and much of it has carried through the whole series. The main flaw were the technological apparatus, which were obviously outdated. Everything looked very much analogue (computer screens, video feeds, even keyboards and buttons), even though it precedes the latest film in that world's timeline, on one site it states that Alien takes place in 2125 while Prometheus is in 2089-93. There's a lot of room there for sequels to the prequel, but at the same time perhaps there was a technological shift and things went back to being more analogue? (jk) Surprisingly, the movie was still very scary, a total Sci Fi thriller, more than 30 years later (picture Marisa and I holding hands at one point lol).

I hope we watch the next 3 movies (Aliens, Aliens 3, Alien Resurrection), though I am not sure we have three mondays left, only 2.5 weeks to go =-(

The wind was extremely strong yesterday, many clouds in the sky, and during the movie, the courtyard looked surreal, with its blue walls and the tree, under lit, moved and shook as it if were a twig, very eerie, much like the movie we had just watched. As I walked to my room, I noticed leaves scattered around the commons floor.





- posted via iPad

Location:Cerrillos Rd,Santa Fe,United States

No comments:

Post a Comment