Thursday, June 21, 2012

summer day

The whole world, that is, the part located in the northern hemisphere, seemed to feel the heat yesterday. I sensed it would be a hot day as I walked to the gym, hotter than usual. Was surprised when the gym guy a)complimented me for working out every day and b) told me he actually opens it up at 7:30, so I was more than welcome to show up early (will try to make it there at 8:30 this morning). Tried a new salad idea, adding a fried egg as a protein, next time maybe a boiled one? After lunch, went to the art supply store to pick up my order and get a gesso board.

Had a great day in the studio, finished one silverpoint drawing (two total now), began phase two of METROPOLIS (hoping to get more of that done today), and started a drawing on the gesso board, which was my intended donation to SFAI. The image for this piece is the same I used for the phase two, but done in a completely different way (and derived from a sketch I did in Argentina 2 years ago). I am liking this piece a lot, the softness of it, and really do not feel now that I want to donate it. Still undecided what will leave with them. Maybe my two hardbound books? Prepped three square canvases too, as I have ideas for three more (and will have two left unless I come up with two more ideas, for a total of 12).

It was a lazy day in many ways. I think I probably took two quick naps in the afternoon. It is so hard not to. Had long conversations with Aimee in the courtyard and couch. There was a weird commotion in the studio today, as Agnes had someone there looking at her work, then taking all of it out, and only to have it returned a couple hours later. I heard the woman saying her paintings were similar to what she had in her gallery, though later Ellen filled us in that supposedly the paintings were taken to be shown to a man who could not move. Agnes told me at one point she was shocked galleries here are so hard to get into. I wonder how easy it is in Paris.

Aimee has to decide which images to use in her book jacket, cover and front piece, so, outside in the courtyard (in shade), we looked at 300 of them, and she marked the ones I liked. It was dinner time but we had already eaten, but Myriel and Amy were there as well, and Amy broke out a bottle of white wine, and the two of us drank together while she looked at Aimee's pictures. Her photos are a mix of documentary and personal, which I find very interesting.With so many to choose from I hope she finds a set that pleases her. After spending so much time with her and hearing her talk about Korean paper making I feel I am beginning to get the gist of the process, which is extremely complicated and detailed but fascinating. It brings to mind the minute details and rituals in photo printmaking, in the darkroom, and in alternative processes, but this is way more complicated, everything seems to be so specific. I am really beginning to think that I want to take some print-making classes, and will have to find some workshops near where I live once I get home. I think what I try to do with paint could easily work with silk screen (and be less laborious), and my drawings could be etchings and/or monoprints. Working with silverpoint, with no erasing, goes along with what I do with graphite, with the added bonus of no smearing (but a much softer contrast range, which I like but still find limiting). Using my new pencil grips has already made a difference in how my arm feels at the end of a work day.

By the time Amy began looking at Aimee's pictures, John and some guy came into the courtyard to set up some tables and tents for tonight's events, and test some audio equipment. I hope the party tonight will be fun, and not annoying. Been working with myself (and Aimee) so we can take all the input tonight with a positive attitude. Aimee and I were both in the mood for chocolate, so I suggested we run to Smith's and buy a brownie mix (it was almost 9 pm then). As there was a two for one promotion, we ended up buying to boxes of mix and a container of vanilla ice cream. Ellen provided the walnuts, and with the best of our abilities (the oven smelled like burned cheese from Michelle's pizza heating on the rack at lunch time - insane; the lack of a baking dish, an electric oven, etc), we baked a batch, that was a bit too gooey, and served everyone that was around: Chris, Carmie, Marisa, Amy, Myriel, Cobi, Ellen, Aimee, and myself. It was pretty yummy. We all ate the whole batch, and spent quite some time on the couches talking and laughing. I adore these people, everyone is really nice. The gathering thinned slowly; after a while and at the end Cobi and I talked until almost midnight, about life and art and all kinds of things. He is so grounded and objective and clear, like his paintings, that it is refreshing to talk to. I am complicated and convoluted, a bit like my work, hehehe. It was a long day, the longest day in the year indeed.





- posted via iPad

Location:Cerrillos Rd,Santa Fe,United States

No comments:

Post a Comment