Tuesday, June 5, 2012

let it flow

Rain, of all things, in all of places, almost all day long, yesterday, with lots of thunders and some hail to boot, but not everywhere in town.

Was able to make it to the gym before it started, met Aimee at the lobby and walked over together, though she left before me. Signed a few contracts, got some ducks in line, ate here and there and made it to the studio sometime after lunch. The usual, Cobi and Ellen working away, while I tried to get comfortable with the hard cement floor and terrible swivel high chair, too high for the table. Ended up working on the desk in the bedroom for a bit, and later, after a second trip to studio - when the day's goal was reached - ended up coming to the commons area to do some emailing on them comfy couches, even though we were supposed to stay away due to a meeting and reception with the board of trustees.

Actually met a couple of them, seemed like nice folks, and the wine they were serving was good too, only the bottle was taken away afterwards (personally I think that, since we were off limits in that area, stepping on eggs at best, for 3 hours, we should have been given the less than half bottle left... but whatever.

Ellen and I (Cobi maybe, Aimee in part) will go to breakfast and museum visiting tomorrow afternoon, so we got some free passes they have. I believe we can go to most museums in the region for free, which is pretty awesome. Met a new person in the office, Shayla Patton (Youth Education and Outreach Director), who's originally from Detroit. Really liked her, great style she has and a very good vibe. Told her to call me when she's in town visiting family (she has not lived there for many years but occasionally goes there for holidays and such). Also talked to my friend Jay at home, who is helping me out with the mail and keeping an eye for the house. I am worried about the house, I wonder if they are getting tons of rain too and if my lawn is getting on the long side..... As Mary would say, first world problems.

The big event for the night was the screening of Mad Men we postponed from the previous night. At the end only Chris, Carmie, Cobie and Marisa - who had not seen it since season 1 - stuck around, even though Ellen and Aimee were hanging out till almost its time. After some adjustments with the technology we began to watch it. Unfortunately I had accidentally read some headlines about what happened (though I did not know any specifics) at Slate, so I knew it would be a turning point. Carmie had a suspicion about Sally that was somewhat off, but the episode was mostly centered on Sally and Lane, both of which usually play sideline roles (much like last week's episode, which focused in a way on Joan, who is a sideline character time-wise, but we only do not think this way because she is just so stunning to look at). Without giving any details away, as some of you may not have watched it yet, I will say that for one character things started to happen the way they wanted it by sheer will and opposition but ended up elsewhere unexpected, while the other saw their lives unravel but eventually reached their goal, however bleak.

I see a studio practice sometimes like that. Sometimes you just need to follow your guts towards something and realize that the end product might not be what you expect, so being prepared to embrace whatever becomes helpful, if not vital. At times we try to control everything we do because we believe there is only one satisfying outcome we want to control. I find these days/times in the studio the least fulfilling, the most anti-climatic, but they too have their place. Much like the rain here, I am unexpectedly ahead of schedule here, and really do not know what I will do when I finish phase 1 of my piece. So like the second character, I am following a path that there is only one end. But I'm also looking forward to the uncharted territories this journey will soon take me. I'll just have to go with the flow.





- posted via iPad

Location:Santa Fe, NM

No comments:

Post a Comment