Monday, June 11, 2012

second Sunday

I'm still in the same place, but for some reason the location function of this app activated the GPS and gave the info above... But I have woken up at the Santa Fe Art Institute once again. From here on, if this happens again, I will just let the machine default decide where I actually am, even if incorrectly. I am not even sure if anyone can read it, but it says "Camino Chueco, Santa Fe, United States" and at least two of these are correct.

I was a bit dehydrated yesterday morning, and a bit slow, but by far not the worst hang over ever, already had worse here. Just enough to make me slow but strong enough to make me want to look for water bottle - my green metal one still MIA.

Woke up early as usual, and with motivation from a random horoscope read - I get them daily but rarely read - I decided to eat breakfast and work in the studio. Ran into Carmie and Chris at the table, and both looked like they recovered 100% from the previous night, young'uns. We decided to go get the car from the church parking lot right away, and Carmie remembered that John might need to get his truck back. The three of us set out to drive, the directions were simple, and looked so different from the drive in the early evening and late night of the previous day. Chris told me he had forgotten his glasses in there, and after talking to John they decided to stop by the house and ask. I thought it was strange because it was almost 9 am by the time we got there, and given to how John looked and sounded here (saw him and his room when Carmie picked up the keys, total college flashback), I can only imagine the shape they were in at the house. For some reason I decided to drop them off and go my own way, which is unlike me, as I always make sure people get a safe way back, or at least a way in, but they did not mind so it all worked out.

I drove back, and had to make the worst U turn in the history of this town because once again I passed my exit... All these adobe strip malls look exactly the same after a while. I got back and headed straight to the studio, to work on the silverpoint drawing. Even though I had spent three hours working on the sketch in the computer the night before, it took me about 2.5 hours in the morning to even get the outline done. At times I think this is gonna be a very cool piece (and I am thinking now of framing it) and at times I find it a bit cheesy, but maybe the line between cool and cheesy is exactly where it needs to be. I also thought about another silverpoint drawing I wanna make while here, and one of these two will be my gift to the Institute. If I like number two too much I will just have to make a number three, and go from there, until I make something I am not too attached to.

Looked at the clock and it was 11:30. Chris, Carmie and I were meeting at 11:40 to go to the movies. I ran through the gallery, to the kitchen and put some bread on a toaster, and went to my room to put some shoes on, get a hoodie (movie theaters are cold), grab my wallet and keys, and check where the movie theater was. I'm glad I did, because I knew the road but almost went the opposite direction. Came back to the kitchen, 45 seconds till the toaster was ready, made a peanut butter sandy, and as I was eating, Carmie and Chris showed up, and made some snacks for the movies.

[I'm tying this blogue entry on the iPad and chatting on Facebook with a friend on my laptop, wearing black briefs and flipflops. Carrie Bradshaw, eat your heart out, girl!]

We all got in my car, and given that the living room and kitchen were so cold, it felt nice for five seconds to be inside it. We drove with the windows down, instead of the AC running, I am enjoying using Fiona more often, and noticed that she broke the 40,000 mile, etta girl! We left later than planned and got there 5 minutes after the movie started (scheduled for noon). Chris bought us tickets (thanks Chris) and we ran to the bathroom and then to the movies, and still saw many previews, most very random, which made me feel like the movie we were about to watch, Prometheus, might have been the wrong choice. We opted for the non-3D version (funny how that is an option now), to save money and because we were all wearing glasses already. Someone should come up with a disposable eyeglasses attachment for 3D movies I'm thinking of a film of sorts), and when you do, please give me a cut so I can go on an early retirement from teaching. What can I say about the movie? I really think it might win the best photography award in whatever award it runs for, as the movie was visually stunning. Michael Fassbender reminded me the fact that most actors have a head larger than normal people, looking a bit like PEZ dispensers or Nancy Reagan (also an actress). Models have, on the other hand, extremely small faces. I was reminded of that when I ran into Kelly Bensimon at the Prada exhibition at the MET in New York in early May (she looked so soft and gorgeous, not scary like the TV show, maybe it was the lighting). As I am part model and part actor, but none really, I have a small head with an extremely large face, not necessarily the best combination ever. But I digress. Continuing with the movie, Noomi Rapace did not look good at all. She reminded me of this assistant my dad had when I was a kid. Her hair was just awful, they should've chosen a Raquel Welsh wig instead, and her face just looked weird. Don't get me wrong, a great actress still, but maybe she is one of those who benefitted from all the heavy makeup in the Girl With a Dragon Tattoo (the original version, much better than the English language one). I was shocked to learn that, when later looking at the IMDb app, she is 6 years younger than I, because in the movie she looked (in the face) to be in her late 40s, in a Hollywood late 40s (smooth and frozen face). I think her makeup was too heavy for me, and because she had so many closeups, it was pretty obvious. Her lips were weird in that movie as well, not very defined. Her paramour, a guy who is younger than I am and looked like it (puppy looking Logan Marshall-Green, what a stunning face), very ambiguously ethnic, which I think works great in movies in the future, looked like he could be her son, similar to Madonna and Ibrahim. One of my favorite actors, the stunning Idris Elba, provided much-needed humor and heart to this movie (it was interesting to watch him speak with an American accent, Luther, never forget!). The star for me in the movie was by a mile Charlize Theron (but then again I am going through a phase where I am crushing on South African girls). She was just stunning, from acting to posture to wardrobe. That first look she had (post de-podding), with the gray suit and dark shoes, I was in love! I would love to wear that same outfit on a daily basis. I loved how her hair changed slightly from scene to scene, and if one pays enough attention, there was always one of two strands of hair out of place, I believe to show some innate human flaw or vulnerability. I remember her second or third scene, she walks by the camera very close, only head and shoulders in profile, and you see two locks of hair over her ear, casually placed, but they do not move, so they are calculatedly planned. Later in the movie she wears a ponytail and on one side, a long strand of hair hangs. Given the obsessive amount of planning and production these movies go through, I like to think it was all intentional. But maybe it is just me. Logan also had incredible outfits, the sandals he wears in the meeting, so sexy with those pants, but still believable. I think this movie might be nominated for costume design as well. It really felt like those clothes would be wearable in a new future (2089-94). Last but not least, the Engineers. Beautiful. As far as the plot, it had more holes than a Lorraine Swiss cheese. A lot of relationships, actors, and facts were completely left unexplained, and the lack of gloves in a toxic atmosphere, p-lease (I know there was a symbolic reason, but very thin). I can see how there will be a sequel to this, away from the Alien paradigm. What do you think?

[if you have a touch-screen phone or other device, like the iPad, do you find yourself touching the screen of you r laptop and expecting a response?]

We left the movie, it was strip-mall hell to find the road again (drove through a parking deck built around open air parking, weird). We talked about it, trying to make sense of some of the stuff that did not add up, Chris found out all kinds of things about one of the Alien movie directors, the guy who directed the 3rd one I believe (he has an impressive resume in writing and directing), Carmie knew a lot about the four previous movies. Opted skipping grocery shopping and went back to the institute. Realized that I had not seen Aimee the whole day. She was in her studio, talking to Rita. I told her I wanted to go grocery shopping before dinner, so we decided to go together.

Went back to the studio, worked on the black square paintings, redid two of them, and then sketched some future ones. Tried drawing a human tongue but it did not look right, drew a gorilla with such a success it impressed me. Ran out of canvas, more will be delivered in two weeks, might have to order them online as that is too long to wait. Worked a bit on the silverpoint, that is gonna take some long ass time to finish. Right now I have three open-ended projects going. The ten large drawing for projection piece (waiting for the gallery to send me a photo of the wall for me to decide their configuration before phase two and three). Eight small square canvas black&silver paintings (I want to have twelve total), all need more layers of paint (between 2 and 4 more of silver, and at least one more of black). Silverpoint large drawings: I have one outlined, one conceived, and then eight other pieces of paper I could use. All of a sudden I feel like I do not have enough time here to get all done. I am, as usual, enjoying more the side projects, while fearing the main project. Goal for the week is to get over that hump.

Worked for another 2.5 to 3 hours in the studio, went to my room and made a list of things, grabbed my tote bag, and went to Aimee's studio (whom I visited throughout the work day to wash brushes, she has a sink, I do not). We went to Smith's and got our stuff, drove back and cooked together, she made soup, I made salad and toast. I usually have peanut butter with my bread for lunch, and hummus with my bread for dinner, along with a salad. I think I need to cut down on the bread, maybe one slice instead of two. We sat at the dining table, ate and read the New York Times. I got into reading the magazine, took a peak at the Bridal section (really?) and looked over the book review. I had forgotten it had shrunk so much, the paper. Even the magazine seems smaller now. I guess with all electronic devices now, people are used to smaller fonts, and quicker stories. I think Aimee read the sports section, or it might be the fashion one, as the cover story was about a swimmer who is becoming a sex symbol (easy with those bodies and tiny suits). We talked a bit about the upcoming Olympics, how we were too old to ever compete in them now (never mind our complete lack of athletic ability), but stayed mostly in silence, which of course I love. I love when I do not have to make small talk, which I know to many that is a total surprise. I am not sure how she felt though, she might've been a bit uncomfortable. Chris and Carmie showed up, we all talked a bit, Aimee and I put our stuff away as they got ready to cook dinner. We parted our ways, I went to my room to watch a movie but ended up reading the NYT magazine for another hour or so, then watched two episodes of FlashForward on Netflix (is that scar on Joseph Fiennes real or for the movie?), which in a way I enjoyed more than Prometheus (though it is getting to that slow phase now, 2/3s of the way). Did not watch Mad Men, will watch tonight with Chris and Carmie, better then than really late at night (like 1 pm). Today I go back to the gym, good morning to you all!





- posted via iPad

Location:Camino Chueco,Santa Fe,United States

No comments:

Post a Comment