Sunday, July 1, 2012

clean

Eating out, while fun, does not seem to have a good pay off these days, as I wake up with nausea and somewhat constipated.This of course makes me long to be back in my own home and kitchen, where I can prep my own food and eat when I need to, and not when it works out that way. As there are eight days left in this journey, I will unfortunately be eating out. Will concentrate on salads with a grilled meat from here on, dressing on the side when possible. The hotel in Denver will have a gym, which is also something I miss. I liked the disciplined self I became here, and feel like this let-lose self is a return to bad habits. One week.

I sent Mike his way to find breakfast as I ate something here and began packing the bags. The dresser and wardrobe are now empty, but not everything is folded and organized in the luggage yet (two loads of laundry started late at night and still needing put away).While he was gone he went to Whole Foods and bought his hair products. He also found out they serve breakfast there, some sort of oatmeal/fruit bar from what I gathered. I think we will be going there today for breakfast, but as it is 8 am, and Mike is still sleeping (I think he has adjusted to Mountain time finally), I do not see this happening any time soon, more like a brunch perhaps. My goal this morning is to write this blog (blogue?) and pack stuff soon, as I still have to clean both studio and bedroom before departing for Ojo.

But let's get back to yesterday. Our destination was Taos for the day, and we left the institute at 11 am, much later than I thought we would. I have been drinking tons of water here and the amount increases when I wear contacts, as my eyes get extremely dry for some reason. The funny thing is that I still pee a lot. I must have drunk at least 5 bottles of water yesterday, in addition to countless glasses of iced tea. And of course all this drinking makes me that person that has to pee a lot. On the 1.5 hour journey to Taos I had to pee once, and on the way back (it took us longer), at least 2 times that I recall, and by the time I got here I had to run to the bathroom. I think Mike thinks I have a bladder problem. Maybe I do, but I just do not think it is good to hold. In my view he is not drinking enough water, and I worry about him. Specially yesterday, when he did not wear a hat. Maybe he is sleeping a lot now because of the sun burn? Anyway, Taos was somewhat like a supersized Plaza, but somewhat more interesting because the buildings were more interesting. There still was the same schlocky art in the galleries, and the usual touristy crap. And it was great to be in a different place for once. I am not sure how, but time flew by there. We walked for about an hour, and then sat down at a restaurant's outside patio for lunch, even though they were serving brunch. The put us on a small table with a broken umbrella, so after three iced tea refills and a bit of annoyance (they told us we could only move before we ordered our food, and of course they only told us that AFTER we had ordered already), we moved to another table with an umbrella. Our food, at the Graham's Grille, finally arrived (I thought that if I made a bathroom run, the food would arrive, and bingo!). I ordered a tamale of the day (cheese and green chile), and a side salad (which they did not have in the menu, but the waiter figured out a way of doing so), which was deliciously fresh and crispy. Once I get home I will try to recreate it (lettuce with red cabbage, carrots, sun flower seeds and a sprinkle of some white flaky cheese, with a light dressing). We walked some more but everything that seemed remotely interesting (mini museums, the Solar Festival, etc) had a cover charge, so we decided to skip them, and walk around some more. Eventually we found a water fountain with cold water, I refilled my bottle and we got back in the car.

We drove towards Taos Pueble, and the whole time I was going there I thought we were driving the wrong way. But eventually we got there. The place looked desolate but extremely interesting. Unfortunately they were closed (why not put a sign at the exit 3 miles before?) We were asked to turn around, and a huge line of cars behind me had to do the same; as we drove back into town, more cars headed there. After a pee break we got back in the car and returned on our trip. The drive, both ways is gorgeous, and it was interesting to see things from a driver's perspective (last time I went there with Aimee, in the passenger seat). I was getting tired, so I decided to pull out at a random shoulder, and we were near the river by the road, so we decided to drive down there and hang out by the water. I truly wished we had brought our bathing suits, because the water made a lovely noise, was fresh and there was a small beach. A few people were in the water. One man said hi, walked in the water (it was somewhat shallow, with pebbles, reminded me strangely enough of Maine), and he laid down, face down facing the current, and stayed there for a few minutes. It was strange and yet at the same time a wonderful thing, and I felt jealous. I only went mid calf into the water, afraid I'd fall and ruin my crappy phone. I might drive in my swimming short from now on, just in case we run into another random body of water.

We finally got back and had a couple hours before dinner plans with Carmie and Chris. I ran into Agnes (not sure if it was the morning, because her presence lingered the whole day). She gave me a big hug, and even though our exchanges were limited and at times she was somewhat difficult, it felt genuine and good, and I was sad to see her go. And somehow she managed to take all her supplies with her, and her paintings were placed in a new clinic, where they will stay for a year (mission accomplished at last). Saw Cobi and Aimee before going to dinner. Also saw Marisa and said our good byes (but also think it was in the morning, not evening). We went to a Mexican restaurant that had such an extensive menu, I did not know what to order. From here on I will only look at the salad section, maybe add a cup of soup, but that's it. Ended up ordering way too much food, which was very good but not excellent (though the iced tea kept flowing). I liked everything, it was a combination platter, but there was a chili releno, deep fried, that I did not recall being part of, and I ate half of it thinking it was an enchilada. I think that is the culprit of my heartburn this morning. As always we talked about all things, and specially television. I am really excited about their TV pilot project, I hope it gets picked up, not only because it is a good story, but because it would be great to see their talent recognized and a financial reward coming their way. I feel like they are younger siblings I've never had, living in a bare minimum space in order to practice their craft, which I find wonderful, but also feel protective of them (I guess this is how one feels when they get older and have no kids).

We got back and I was feeling like a sausage, bursting in the seams, but still had two loads of laundry to make. Was feeling extremely sleepy. Put the last load in the drier at 10:50, set it for 40 minutes, just in time for the time limit of laundry by 11:30, house rules. After I post this I will pick it up, fold, and get ready to leave this place.




- posted via iPad

Location:Cactus Ln,Santa Fe,United States

No comments:

Post a Comment