Friday, July 6, 2012

falling in love, again, part 2

Soon we leave Omaha and my impression of this city could not have been better. Even with the 100 degree heat. They say one finds love when they are not looking for it, and that is what happened. Of course I know that a huge part of it is the fantasy we create when we do not know someone or something well - we fill in the blanks.

I probably have only seen 1% of this town, but what I saw I really liked it, and could totally see myself living here (of course part of the fantasy does not include winters and trying to travel out of here, internationally). The old market district is a mix of Savannah and Austin, old structures with new business, and surrounded by loft-style apartment buildings (which are extremely expensive, in the $200,000 - 300,000 range).

Amidst record stores (yes, plural), restaurants, coffee shops and bars, sits the Bemis Center for Contemporary Art. I fell in love with this place, and plan on applying for a residency there until I get it. It is extremely competitive, 1200 applications for 36 spots each year, but the odds are lower than the lotto, and you can only win if you buy a ticket, right? The place is awesome, with great galleries and great shows, pics posted in a future time.

The two meals we had were pretty good, and even the complimentary happy hour at the hotel was fun, the crowd in a better mood than the one in Denver. The heat was a killer, it totally slowed us down, and I cannot imagine how it would be to spend a summer here, but it is something I could survive, just like we are surviving this cross country drive. Which leads me to finish this entry in such a hurried manner. We have almost 10 hours ahead of us, and Mike is still asleep. I think I need to drop some stuff around him, make some noise, so he wakes up. Saugatuck is the next stop.






- posted via iPad

Location:Jackson St,Omaha,United States

No comments:

Post a Comment