Thursday, July 5, 2012

over the hump, I hope

I am happy to report to the three people who read this that I actually slept 6.5 hours, which was a difficult day to begin with.

Simply put, I got tired for being made to make all the decisions, and then being blamed when they did not work out well. So first thing in the morning, at breakfast, I told Mike, when he asked me, that he was deciding everything today, from weather we go to Nebraska or Kansas, where and when we eat, etc. He did not like that, because I think it is his M.O., to let others decide and then strike down the decision. I think it is part of the Midwestern mindset, which for me comes across as extremely passive aggressive. I am sure my behavior comes across as angry, but I just hate the bullshit and all the dance steps involved. He told me "so you want me to be the fall guy?" meaning that if anything went wrong he'd be culpable, and I said "why not? It's been me thus far" and yes, I use "thus" in daily speech. It was mildly amusing seeing him squirm a bit, asking me when we had to make the first main decision, and I said soon because there was a 2 mile distance between the two options from the main highway, which was less than 2 miles from the hotel. He literally decided when we were checked out, valet car brought to us, bags placed in car, us seated, and seat belts on.

So off we went towards Omaha (left Denver at 10:20 am local time), and with fuel needs aside, we only stopped when he wanted to. In fact, Mike slept through most of the trip, and I drove for the first 4 hours, until we stopped at this horrible local fast food chain restaurant called Amigos. Should really be "enemigos" (look it up). Gross. Tasted like canned food. When we left the restaurant he asked "do you want me to drive?" even though I had said enough times that I was driving the first half and he was driving the second half. So I gave him a snippy "of course" and off we went. I tried to fall asleep like he did but I kept getting asked to do stuff, like look stuff up, help hook up his music (so far we have not listened to one thing I have wanted to, nothing from my music collection). Eventually I told him to stop in Lincoln for fuel, and began playing with my phone. I even downloaded a new facebook app (just deleted my old one and reinstalled it, because it was frozen), so now I can do some facebooking on my old 3G.

We got to Lincoln, which I thought would be a small college town, but turned out to be a large town with no one around. After much driving around we found a gas station open in a shady part of town, and then looked for a restaurant. Ended up going to some gross place that had tasty food and large portions for a reasonable price (what students want), but no AC... and by the way, how freaking hot it has been, at least in the 90s. I think it will be in the 100s today all over the midwest. After our horrible meal that took for ever to get done we both came to the realization that trying to eat local in small towns during a holiday can be a huge mistake, and that there is a reason people eat at McDees when traveling (FYI, no spellcheck warning for McDees, interesting). In retrospect we should have gone to the Jimmy Jones across the street (I heart their Vito sandwich, no onion). It was the first time in almost two days that we both laughed together, and after getting lost again, we finally made our way to Omaha, where I called their Magnolia Hotel (the same brand as the one in Denver) and they had plenty of rooms, and they gave us a huge discount, so we decided to stay there (awesome breakfast, happy hour with free wine, and cookies at night). We checked in a bit before 9:30 pm, had some cookies, and went to our room, which was really nice, way nicer than the one in Denver, and with a view of the courtyard. We walked around the hotel and then, after both surfing the internet for a bit, went to bed. I went to bed around 12 am and woke up close to 7 am. Mike is still asleep, we have one hour for the breakfast. I envy his ability to sleep 8 hours plus a day and still take a nap in the afternoon. I'm not sure I've slept this long ever in this millennium, I am not kidding. But I'll take 6.5 hours.




- posted via iPad

Location:S 16th St,Omaha,United States

No comments:

Post a Comment