Sunday, September 23, 2012

needing focus

Yesterday was an atypical day, structured in a completely different way from all other days. It started earlier, with Paul and I meeting at 8:30 am to go to the National Hispanic Cultural Center, a beautiful facility that required driving to get to. There we saw the panel on Brazilian artists and curators first (though one panelist was shown as video). The speakers were extremely intelligent and the discussions that followed were pretty awesome. I really liked the exhibition Technofagia, I think the concept of reformulating an old model into a present one is pretty sophisticate and specific.

This was followed by a panel on border policies and policing, and Coco Fusco, as usual, was the star of the event. She is so clear-headed, it is lovely to watch. This panel was a bit depressing as well, with all the facts and statistics and personal narratives that were shared. We had to leave before the last speaker came on because we were driving up to Santa Fe to go see the Dome. On our way there we stopped at a very small restaurant, family-style, and had the best meal ever. We got there in time even though we were a bit late, and watched Charlie's piece, which was 5 minutes in length and not finished (the funding ran out before it was completed). Still, one got the sense of what he was going after. The technology is so seductive that is is hard to look at stuff critically at a first glance. Ben, Silvia and Margaret were there too, and we all chatted a bit at the lobby while they set up another piece, which was supposed to be interactive, but really did not work too well. This was made by a Canadian artist, their first visiting artist (or is it artist in residence?). I realized that this was the third time I had been there, and it was good to see that many of the technical problems in June were solved. Ethan is such a nice guy, I bet he bends over backwards to make things happen.

We drove back to see the exhibitions at the UNM campus. It took us a while to find out where they were, but eventually we did find them, first at the museum, with great pieces (I forgot the brochure in Paul's car, so I cannot tell you all the names of artists, the one very well known is Woody Vasulka). Nearby was a residency show, which was very raw and experimental (and interesting, but I think it could improve with more texts available), and across the street the Tamarind Press, where they specialize in Lithography.... I really want to get hooked up with working with a press and making an edition of works one of these days, I hope I get that going soon (need to find a place to take some workshops). Eventually we headed to the Art Lab to see their mini dome, which was pretty cool. I think that anyone who has access to that is pretty lucky, because it truly is a different way to experience moving images.

We finally decided to go eat something in old town, and we went to a place called Church Street Cafe in a area that looked very much like the Plaza in Santa Fe, only smaller. We ran into one of Paul's colleague, Jessie I believe her name to be, and had a real great time eating yummy food, talking, etc. By the time we got to the hotel we were all very tired, so we all headed to our respective rooms, and I went to bed sometime close to 10:30 pm. I made the room specially warm so I could fall asleep faster, and woke up only at 4 am to drink water, and cool the room down a bit.

Ended up going to the gym and did a bit of cardio and weights. It felt good. As it is evident, by the lack of detail, in this post, I am reaching an ISEA burn-out, after four days of intense conferencing, I want to take it easy today. I am not even sure how this is going down, because all events are far away from the hotel and I do not want to wake Paul up and see when he is going. Most of the programing today have to do with education, and mostly K-12, so I am not sure what I want to see. I may hang out here until noon, and then head down there... there is a Maker's Fair and a block party, and a 3 pm keynote speaker I want to see, and then killing time till Laurie Anderson at 9 pm... so I do not want to be out in town for like 15 hours straight, so I might go in the afternoon and just do a few things instead, and do touristy stuff nearby.





- posted via iPad

Location:Hotel Albuquerque, 20th St NW,Albuquerque,United States

No comments:

Post a Comment