Tuesday, September 18, 2012

here we go again

Today I am heading back down to New Mexico, the second time this year and ever for me, and a new town to boot... Am writing in the plane... two and a half hours to kill... the food options one can buy are not too appetizing, even if you are willing to spend the money...

fortunately I bought a coffee and some cashews in Detroit, and a salad (already partially eaten) in Minneapolis... while the coffee is gone, I still have a half a salad and a bag of cashews... that should hold me over until I am in downtown Albuquerque, checked in and ready to explore the area....

I am tracking there to attend ISEA 2012, which stands for International Symposium of Electronic Art. I will be there for an entire week, packed with a million interesting presentations, panel discussions, and evening events. I have never attended this conference but always have wanted to. It usually takes place abroad, so when I found out it was back in the US I early-birded my registration and booked a flight and hotel (all quite affordable, considering the location, but somewhat expensive as a whole when giving the amount of days I will be there)... My purpose here is many-fold. First and foremost I want to experience a different group of people, hopefully like-minded ones. After years of going to the same conferences, it is time to broaden my horizons and recapture my global interests. I will probably not know many people there (I know three people who are going), so being anonymous will also be a good thing.

Next year this conference is in Australia. Sidney more precisely. That is one place I have always wanted to go, and it is my hope that by experiencing ISEA first hand I will be more apt to participate in the next and future editions in a more active way (in panels, presentations, exhibitions, etc). Last but not least, I want to see what current ideas and discourses in Electronic Arts are circulating nowadays. This will be a good research trip, as far as getting names, and hopefully articles and images, for future teaching endeavors.

When I first started the New Media specialization at Oakland University, I really had it in mind as being called Electronic Intermedia. But that name did not get approved. After many talks over the year with even many more people the name Intermedia became my new favorite in the eventual , though the name Media also roamed around my head. I now am thinking that Electronic Media might be a good nomenclature.

Well, ask me again in a few days lol

I will try to write a post on a daily basis, writing in the morning about the day before, and have a self portrait posted as well, to keep the traditional formatting of this blog consistent. I thank you for taking yet another trip with me.





- posted via iPad

Location:somewhere in the air, between Minneapolis and Albuquerque

No comments:

Post a Comment